If you have a website, SEO (search engine optimization) is one of the best things you can do to create traffic.
Here are some tips to help you get started on this important task!
There are two main types of “search engine optimization” (which is known as “seo zoekmachine optimalisatie” in Dutch): on-page and off-page.
On-Page Search Engine Optimization:
On-page SEO is a term used to describe changes you make to the content and coding of your website pages.
- Make sure your site’s content is relevant, informative, engaging, original, and well-written. Good content is one of the keys to online success.
- Optimize your content for the specific keywords and search terms your target audience is using, but don’t overuse them. Weave the search terms into sentences in a way that makes sense and provides value to human readers. You’re doing SEO, but you’re writing your content for people.
- Use appropriate HTML meta tags (meta title, meta keywords, and meta description) on each page. Meta tags help the search engine crawlers understand what your site’s all about.
Off-Page Search Engine Optimization:
Off-page SEO comes into play after you’ve completed your on-page SEO. It includes all optimization efforts that are made anywhere other than directly on the pages of your site.
- Backlinks: Build a strong network of backlinks to your site (other websites providing links that lead to yours). Ideally, your backlinks will come from well-regarded websites with content that is relevant to your site. Backlinks will help drive relevant traffic to your site.
- They also encourage the search engines to assign a higher ranking to your site. Gaining more and more backlinks will encourage search engine crawlers to index your new content more often.
- Social Networking: Join up and create a profile on some of the popular social networking sites: Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, MySpace, and the like. Start posting, build your online reputation, and promote your website and its products or services.